Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I would like to find out about 2 dolls that belonged to my

Customer Question
hi, I would like to...
hi, I would like to find out about 2 dolls that belonged to my mother, who was born in 1933. these dolls have no markings that I can find, seem to be made of wood, or something similar and their eyes open and close
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
3/14/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 1 year ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dolls are about 14.5 inches tall ,and who do I send photos to?

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cant respond with photos, no tool bar or anything

There are two duplicate images attached here of the front of the dolls. Can you please check the back of neck/head and back of body for marks; they may be faint raise molded marks or impressioned marks.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has a marking on the left hip, a raised bump, can not make it out. looks like it ends with a c

Could you please send a photo or that, or try a pencil rubbing of the mark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
think I just wasted time and money on this

The material of the dolls is called 'composition', it is a molded sawdust and glue along with other materials like wood flour, resin and cornstarch that is then covered in a flesh tone painted shell.

The mark you see is not a maker mark, it is an aberration in the molding.

The style of the doll is loosely based on Shirley Temple and they date to late 1930's to early 1940's.

These could have likely been manufactured by Ideal.

On today's market, each doll can sell for $30 - $80.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
after a little more looking over, I pulled up the hair on the one in red, I penciled the markings, Sonja henie, m***** *****. the other one has no visable markings

Great! Thank you for checking some more and getting back to me.

The 1940's Madame Alexander doll of Sonja Henie is the one that was issued with Sonja dressed for skiing. Here is a link for you of a visual example of all of the accessory pieces that came with this doll:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/madame-alexander-sonja-henie-doll-401340369

On today's market, this doll, if in mint condition and complete with all accessories, sells for a high average of $200 - $300 on today's market. In used condition with partial outfit, she sells for $60 - $80.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you on this.

~Nora

Nora
Nora