Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I would like to find out about 2 dolls that belonged to my

Customer Question

hi, I would like to find out about 2 dolls that belonged to my mother, who was born in 1933. these dolls have no markings that I can find, seem to be made of wood, or something similar and their eyes open and close
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dolls are about 14.5 inches tall ,and who do I send photos to?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no reply to expert, no tool bar nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant respond with photos, no tool bar or anything
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

There are two duplicate images attached here of the front of the dolls. Can you please check the back of neck/head and back of body for marks; they may be faint raise molded marks or impressioned marks.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has a marking on the left hip, a raised bump, can not make it out. looks like it ends with a c
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Could you please send a photo or that, or try a pencil rubbing of the mark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant make it out, my eyes are too bad, even with a magnifier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
think I just wasted time and money on this
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The material of the dolls is called 'composition', it is a molded sawdust and glue along with other materials like wood flour, resin and cornstarch that is then covered in a flesh tone painted shell.

The mark you see is not a maker mark, it is an aberration in the molding.

The style of the doll is loosely based on Shirley Temple and they date to late 1930's to early 1940's.

These could have likely been manufactured by Ideal.

On today's market, each doll can sell for $30 - $80.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after a little more looking over, I pulled up the hair on the one in red, I penciled the markings, Sonja henie, m***** *****. the other one has no visable markings
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Great! Thank you for checking some more and getting back to me.

The 1940's Madame Alexander doll of Sonja Henie is the one that was issued with Sonja dressed for skiing. Here is a link for you of a visual example of all of the accessory pieces that came with this doll:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/madame-alexander-sonja-henie-doll-401340369

On today's market, this doll, if in mint condition and complete with all accessories, sells for a high average of $200 - $300 on today's market. In used condition with partial outfit, she sells for $60 - $80.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you on this.

~Nora