Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a 9 piece place setting of Noritake China that I

Customer Question

I have a 9 piece place setting for 12 of Noritake China that I inherited from my mother. There are also serving dishes with the set. It is in generally very good condition. On the back of the items it shows "Noritake", and underneath that a wreath with an "M", and under the wreath "Japan". There are no numbers or names. After a bunch of internet searching, I have found that the set was probably purchased around 1933 (which makes sense, since that is when my mother would have been building her hope chest.) and after staring at a bunch of china have found the it is likely some variation on a pattern called Bluedawn 622. I have not been able to find an exact match and now really don't know what to do. I do not use the china, and definitely want to get rid of it, but I don't know whether to assume that it is worth nothing and just give it away, or if it is worth enough that I should try to sell it. I don't really want to pay a large sum to an appraiser if it is likely not worth anything. Could you suggest what my next steps should be? I live in Portland, Oregon.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

A set of Noritake from the mid-1930's in this type of pattern usually sells for about $400 to $500.00 at auction and more if you pieced it out on Ebay (which would take forever to sell). There is no pattern name for this set, which is not uncommon since they had thousands of patterns.

The best thing to do is contact your local auction house to sell the set for you. They would sell the set for you and you'd get a check 14 to 45 days later minus their 15 to 25% commission.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.