Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Two Luigi Fumagalli oil on canvas paintings - Samauri

Customer Question

Two Luigi Fumagalli oil on canvas paintings - Samauri warriors.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: "Archer" 36 W x46 h (including frame) From his Japanese warrior series.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: "Daimyo" (General) 41 X 41 (including frame) from his Japanese warrior series.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Antiques Appraiser responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: Both paintings were purchased in Hawaii in the late 60's or early '70's by my father directly from the artist, who was a friend of his.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell the sizes not including the frames. Do not remove from the frames.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Daimyo (General) is 36 x36
The Archer is 30 w X 40 h
Do you want photos? How do I attach them?Zoe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are photos of the two pictures
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Luigi Fumagalli was born near Milan, Italy. He studied art at a nearby academy and then traveled for 6 years while painting and exhibiting in Asia.

During this period he first painted colorful peasants. He continued Asian themes painting in bold colors including those of samurai warriors.

When he painted Western themes, his subjects were horses, knights and chess pieces in even bolder colors.

His murals can be seen in many famous hotels in Hawaii.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine retail values of $3753 for Daimyo and $3475 for Archer.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. That gives a place to start.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris