Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Craved wooden Lion with leaf attached on back. Is there a

Customer Question

Craved wooden Lion with leaf attached on back. Is there a link where I can attach a photo.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, I've attached a photo. Please advise if you can't see it.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. I had to be away from the office for a few hours and just now returned. The photo that is here is a picture of a lace garment hanging between two windows and not of a carved lion. Please do try one more time and also let me see the bottom or any marks there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, here are the photos, it's too heavy for me to move therefore I am unable to take a photo of the mark. It is a inkwell with a feathered pin inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advise receipt of photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I got two close up pictures. I need a little more clarification since there is no size reference (the marks are really important). An inkwell is usually small enough to fit on a desktop and would not be so heavy as not to be able to turn over. Are you sure this is an inkwell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not turn over the lion to see the inkwell which is engraved on the bottom, it is 27 L x 13" w. my friend brought it over. It is solid wood . I tried, to put my phone underneath but it came out dark.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I will have to opt-out, so sorry. I so not see how this could be an inkwell and I must not be understanding you correctly in correlation with the pictures. The next expert will be able to see the photos and out conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, you are not understanding the inkwell is carved into the wood on the bottom, how can you not understand that. It a carved inkwell with a feathered pen inside as was used many years ago.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

If you could please provide more images, such views from the front, sides, back and underside that will be very helpful.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

On today's market, your antique 19th century Continental treen, or wood craved, inkwell of a lion, that is based on Staffordshire pottery figures has a high sale value of $400 - $700.

~Nora