Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Can I send you a photo of the hallmarks on the bottom of my

Customer Question

Can I send you a photo of the hallmarks on the bottom of my sterling silver pitcher? I would like to know how old and where it was made
thank-you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.

To get the whole idea, I would also like to see the item that this mark is on. You can do this by using the Add Files feature on your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you have all the information you need to decipher the hallmarks on the bottom of the pitcher.
If not....please let me know
thank-you
Dennis Belfor
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I have spent hours looking for this. The closest I come is 925 (sterling) 81 with crown (date code for 1881) foreign letters (looks to be Turkish writing) The alphabet is Turkish, so my opinion is that this is from that region. Several surrounding countries use this same alphabet but I was not able to find the exact mark. This last mark would be the maker's name or logo. This piece would be called a Sterling Silver Neoclassic Greek Revival Ewer with a value of $1800 to $2500.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for a more definitive response. I have also spent hours on this item. Is there a reference we are missing: One that would include the crown? Or the lettering? Are we safe to say it is definitely from 1881? What other countries besides Turkey should be looked at? The winged figure on the handle is really detailed. Are you confident with your appraisal when the ewer weighs 50.03 troy ounces of sterling and is 14 inches in height?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, after hours of research and not finding a definitive answer, this is not complete enough for me to be paid for the answer. I think at this point, I will opt-out and allow another expert to step in and see what we have done so far and add to it. Please be patient, because this is one takes hours of research for the next expert as well. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for being candid. I look forward to receiving further info from your next expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering when I can expect to receive any further word on this search from another expert? I agree you should not be paid for the answer provided. Please check further. Thank-You!