Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I've just acquired a six panel sided screen with gold leaf,

Customer Question
I've just acquired a six...
I've just acquired a six panel doubled sided screen with gold leaf, and white flowers and blue birds on one side and black with blue and green figures on the other. I wondered if there were a way to date the piece. It's about six feet tall and approximately one inch thick. It has brass feet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It has carvings on the gold side of flowers, I think they are spider mums and birds that look sort of like swallows. The other side has carvings of birds and bamboo, with some sort of insect flying around. There is also a large tree on the gold side that has large leaves. Is there a way of telling the age of this piece? It appears to be very old, but I'm not sure. I have no information on it as I bought it at an estate sale.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Antique Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me.

To provide an accurate answer, I need more information.

Please tell me the width of the panels.

Most importantly, I need photos of of the screen showing its decoration.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.

Kind regards,

Doris

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur