Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have some Asian beautifully carved ivory, jade, tigers eye…

Customer Question
I have some Asian beautifully...
I have some Asian beautifully carved ivory, jade, tigers eye and several other pieces. I saw similar pieces in New York in the early eighties selling for about $7,500.00 for the Jade pieces. I wonder if the Ivory pieces I have which have some markings, could be dated and appraised? I have a picture of one and would like to know what would be the best route to have the total lot appraised. I'm in Miami, Florida.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 day by:
3/9/2016
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

Are you wanting a list of appraisers you can have look at all of this in your local area?

I have a whole collection but would first like some information on this piece as to whether it could have been during the Ming Dynasty excetera. The piece weighs approximately four and a half pounds and I have others. Do the initials inside indicate any information that you could help put a value in it? I saw on the Antiques Roadshow air a piece that was being card for the emperor was worth like a half a million dollars! I don't know whether I have a piece that is worth $20,000 or 2 million! Any suggestions more opinions as to when it was carved and what its value may be now?
It appears only one picture arrived. Can I send more when I get back to my computer?

Hello

These pieces cannot be appraised online. They will need to be looked at in person. Also this is not the Antique Road Show, we are an online service that gives customers values for their items. Your collection really needs to be seen in person.

Glenda

I was just asking for a value for this one item that's why I submitted just one.
By the way I'm sending this info via the smartphone which sometimes isn't so smart!
I thought perhaps some specialist could look at the information inscribed and would know possibly the era or artisan. I truly need a specialist.

Hello

We do not have anyone that could read this, it appears to be a Greek Alphabet. With the Greek Key design on this it does appear to be Greek. That is why I suggest you use a local appraiser.

Glenda

It appears I have already been billed $43 on my account after my deposit? I really don't understand what service I have gotten yet! I simply wanted a value on one piece that I have and mention that I do have a collection of these kind of things. however, all I got was an offer to give me different appraisers in my area and was billed the full amount of the piers with no actual answer other than the fact that I need to get it appraised by someone in person. the website that advertises like you can appraise things by the best experts and all I am is sending you pictures of what I have although maybe if you did not go through and I am willing to resubmit them one by one if I have to. I thought I would be able to contact an expert in this field so I could get better if Information. I am perfectly capable of looking up companies in the area that do this kind of thing and I don't want understand why I just paid $50 for this information with no value or knowledge of what I have accept the lettering appears to be Greek. I was under the impression that you guys were capable of getting ahold of the best experts in providing me with this kind of information and I could provide you with accurate descriptions and close-ups as many pictures as you need with the weights at cetera. This is simply not the case because I don't want to pay for nothing. I am perfectly capable of looking up other appraisers in my area I thought you guys would be the best at what you do and be capable of finding the best persons and forwarding all the essential information on the item in question. Am I misunderstanding the capabilites of this website or what is the situation or problem?
I am at my computer now I meant and I am able to send you several different pictures one by one if necessary. My intention was to find someone that kne
knows exactly what I have!
It is my impression I am thinking taken for $50 with no information provided other than an offer to find other appraisers and your estimate of the language is at best a Maybe. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You have all these high star ratings and you appraise things for others why is mine a different scenario?
If you had all these experts at your call I was going to submit each piece one by one and pay for an annual subscription but obviously something here is amiss.

Hello

Your question was not about one item it was "would like to know what would be the best route to have the total lot appraised. I'm in Miami, Florida."

.

I am letting you know that the best route to take is to have someone come see what you have and value it for you.

At this point I am going to opt out of this and see if one of the other experts might be able to help you, no one reads Greek though, so they cannot tell you what this says.

Glenda

Well thank you for your efforts and I'm just wondering if I'm getting build that extra $43 and I wasn't even provided with any of the so called "experts" in the area. I don't think there are but a handful of people in the whole country that probably can actually value the stuff Appropriately! I believe it was James Callahan that I saw on Antiques Roadshow. My original question must have been ambiguous because I was stating That I needed to eventually have my whole lot of Praise but I was looking to get an appraisal on this one item to get an idea of what I'm looking at. That was the intent.
I guess the questions were asked opposite. My first question was getting that one item appraised and the second question was about appraising the whole lot. I figured if you guys could do the first one I could sign up and have them all appraised through you all. Sorryabout the confusion. II wanted to see about getting the value of the one ivory piece and then if you could do that to my satisfaction I would sign up and go ahead and have the rest of my pieces handled by you guys that was my intention and I'm sorry if I addressed incorrectly.
May I attach more pictures of the first piece is because that is what I'm interested in and also what about the billing here?
To my knowledge, no one has contacted me about anything and I didn't even get local appraisers to help!
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur