Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

What is the value of a simpson & co, silver tea server

Customer Question
what is the value of...
what is the value of a simpson Hall Miller & co , silver tea server etched in Lilies of the Valley , a 7 piece set.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
3/7/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures so that I can get visual clues of the date and value. Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures. Add pictures of the item and of any marks, writing or labels.

If the Add Files feature does not work for you, you can also email the pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward to me. Use the same email that you used to create your account. This way takes a few hours usually, so thank you in advance for your patience.

The phone call request is automated and I do not offer that service. I can work best from seeing photos of your set and the marks.

I got your one photo of the tea set. This company made only silver plate but was bought out by International Silver in 1898 and continued to use their mark, even on sterling. I really need to see the mark in order to determine the date, value and silver quality of your set. I really can't tell very much from the picture taken from so far away. Also, confirm that the same mark is on the tray that is on the other pieces. It is common for these items to be mismatched.

Did you get the 2 photo's I sent ? I hope you can read the bottom.

There was only one photo of the whole set and none of the bottom mark.

Sent two photos of the bottoms of the teapot check your text .

I'm sorry, but there is no photo of the bottom. Let's do this, does the mark read STERLING or 925 anywhere on it?

If not, then I can value as silver plate and will assume the tray is silver plated also. This set would have been made by Simpson, Hall and Miller during the Victorian aesthetic period circa 1880 and has a value of 375 to $425. The number on the bottom would be the shape/pattern number since they did not name all of their patterns during the early years.

If you find the word sterling anywhere, then we could re-assess the value.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.