Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a small porcelain doll with just numbers on the back…

Customer Question
I have a small porcelain...
I have a small porcelain doll with just numbers on the back of the neck. The doll was given to me from an aunt who died in the early 70's. She was early 80's and had the doll as a child. So, I figure the doll was from the late 1890's. I could barely see the numbers and made a rubbing on paper. The best I can read is 151Y on top and 21_? Maybe a 5. There is no mold mark. The doll is 6" tall, all porcelain, mouth open with teeth, and moving eyes. She looks French. We have photographs if there is a way to send them. She has a wig and clothes. I looked at pictures on the web and she looks somewhat like the Bru Bebe, except the one I am looking at does not have open mouth with four individual teeth.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2016
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

There is no way to know who made this since it is not marked with a makers market. It does appear to be French made and can be valued if you like?

Glenda

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I would like to get a value. Does that cost more and how much. We are traveling and are not always connected to wifi. please reply to my friend's e-mail***@******.***

Hello

No it does not cost more.

.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.
The Doll, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $140.00-155.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay.
All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.
.
Appraisers are independent of the Just Answer site, we do not work for the site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give me by clicking on one of the stars or smiley faces you see.

Please take the time to rate me,

Thank you

Glenda

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this questions. Since it is not rated yet, I wonder if there was a problem with the answer I provided for you?
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda