Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

3/5/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Maurice Ardouin was a French artist dating 1932-1999.

Using the standard method of assessment described above, I was able to determine an auction value of $1300-1500 for your 35x57" Ardouin painting.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Do you know about what year it was painted?

No.

Private sales and the information they would give us are not public.

As I described the standard process of appraisal, I had to go to comparable paintings by Ardouin to arrive at a public auction value for your painting.

Your painting has not sold at auction recently; so, there is no specific public information about it like a date.

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Kind regards,

Doris

Ok. The last painting I found was sold in 2014. It was smaller of flowers and sold for $375.
I know he had phases that he painted certain subjects so I was hoping you might be able to find more info that I have been able to. I just started searching on my phone last night.
I'm actually looking to buy painting. Is is covered in cob webs on my framers wall in a back room.

See the following image - It is a description of an Ardouin boat painting dated 1964. It is an oil on canvas that is the same size 35x57" as yours. It was in a 2007 auction in Pasadena CA. The estimate was $1000-2000 plus the buyers premium of about 20%.

I do not know what it sold for. There was a much smaller preliminary sketch of the painting that sold with it.

Not all artists go through phases like Picasso; so, I cannot guarantee that yours was painted in the 1960s. Still, if you must have a date, it would probably be 1960s.

Doris

You would rate me a positive here.

You didn't send picture of painting but I found that info last night. And I know which painting it is. Bidding started at $500. I'll do some more research when I have time. Thanks

You are welcome.