Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a collection of 15 antique clocks, oils by Berks

Customer Question

I have a collection of 15 antique clocks, oils by Berks County, PA artists, and various wooden boxes which I would like to sell. I did have a dealer who we personally know come to the house and give me prices on what he would purchase the clocks for but I did not feel comfortable with the prices he offered - some being less that 10% of what we paid for the items. My spouse has passed and the clocks were his "babies", for which I know very little. How should I go about securing a buyer for these items. The dealer was someone that he had purchased some of the clocks from as well as appraised said items in 1987.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day my name is***** am an IRS qualified appraiser.

As a rule dealers try to buy product at the lowest price possible. To get the most money out of the collection you have to sell them yourself. This can be a slow process. A consignment shop in your area is another option. They have the venue but they do charge a percentage of the sale. Online is another option. Ebay or etsy are good but they have various fee, be sure to ask what they are. Ruby-lane is an online store where you are your own small business. There is also a site Kersten's Antiques where they charge a monthly fee to sell on their site. If you need help with the values I can help you with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an additional charge for providing values?

I have the list and descriptions of the rest of the clocks. Please let me know if the additional $75.00 is ok.