Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have acquired a water color painting depicting an N.

Customer Question
American Indian camp scene....
I have acquired a water color painting depicting an N. American Indian camp scene. The artist name printed clearly on the painting is "W.J.Hoffman.". There is a large label on the back of the painting which shows that "David Bendann's Fine Art Rooms, 105 East Baltimore, Baltimore" had mounted and framed the picture. I have found a reference on line to a "Dr. W.J. Hoffman who in 1871 was appointed acting assistant surgeon in the U.S. Army and naturalist to the expeditions for exploration of Arizona, Nevada etc". "In 1879, when the Bureau of Ethnology was created, he was made assistant ethnologist." He spent the years from 1881 until his retirement in 1895 devoted to field work and writing publications on a number of Indian Tribes in the U.S..
Is it possible that Dr. Hoffman had painted scenes that he encountered during his time among those tribes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
3/3/2016
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****’m a certified appraiser, and I’d be happy to help.

Can you upload a close up of the signature?

FYI, I do not handle appraisals by phone, as I feel it is more productive to work through messages. If you get a phone call request, it has come from the auto-reply system, NOT from me. Please ignore.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Thank you.

I do see what you are talking about. However, I'm unable to match the signature, so I'm going to opt out.

The question will become visible and open to all other appraisers. You don't need to do anything, and won't be charged any additional fees.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer.
I'm disappointed that no "Antique Expert" can provide any response to the question that I posed regarding the watercolor painting by "W.J.Hoffman.". Surely someone has an expertise in American history related to the Bureau of Ethnology from inception in 1879 to the 1900's.
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I am sorry. My computer jumped to this question by mistake.

I hope a pro can answer your question.

Kind regards,

Doris

I did not receive an answer to my question therefore I would like a refund.
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur