Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We inherited two pieces of furniture a Hutch and corner

Customer Question
Hi, We inherited two pieces of...
We inherited two pieces of furniture a Hutch and corner cabinet from my mother in law. Unfortunately she has Alzheimers and can not give us any detail about the pieces. I do know that before she lost her memory she told us they are of good value. She is from East coast Cape cod area. Both pieces are maybe 100 years old. I have pictures. What would be my next step to find out who made,style and value of each piece.
Thanks dedee milnes
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 5 days by:
3/7/2016
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Dedee.

Unfortunately unless the pieces are lucky enough to have a makers mark or stamp of some kind, there won't be any way to say for certain who made them. There have been hundreds of furniture makers that have come and gone and many more that were completely unheard of. I can help with possibly dating them and providing values if you would be interested in that?

.

~Diana

Where do you look for markers on such pieces? The drawer?

The marks could be anywhere. They could be on the backs of the furniture, on the underneath, inside drawers. I've even seen some on the backs of legs. More often than not they are usually on the back if they have them.

~Diana