Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

How do I know if a water color is not a print? I have a

Customer Question

How do I know if a water color is not a print? I have a water color buy Sessions. I believe it is real. I do not want to take it out of the frame to find out unless I have to. Is there a realistic way Of finding out with out taking the backing off of the picture etc.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the art work is named back waters. that is what is penciled in on the back of the pictur frame
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is a link to some pics of the water color. https://goo.gl/photos/ALfxp9QB2Tk7AtZt7
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a framed print by James Milton Sessions (Illinois, 1882-1962) titled Backwaters, done in the 1940-50. I can tell that it is a print because when I blow up the area in the signature photo, I can see a series of small circular dots, evidence of the lithographic color separation printing process. If you have a magnifying glass and look at any area on the painting, you will see these dots as well. He did high quality prints of his work, so it does not mean that this has no value. This piece has a value of $125 to $150.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer. Is there more that you needed to know about this piece? Let me know if I can be of more assistance. If not, then do click the stars to accept my answer, thank you!