Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

2/29/2016
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Trixa,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your highboy.

Does it have plywood drawer bottoms, or plywood as a backboard?

Also could you attach a photo of the side of one of the drawers so I can see the joinery.

Many thanks,

Robert

It's a mess. It needs to be cleaned up obviously but I just wanted to know b4 I sell it if I should keep it. Thanks. I attached a ton of pics bc idk about wood types.
1456773437544-1906613610.jpg1456773...jpg1456773510378-1157341911.jpg1456773...jpg14567735309041190733885.jpg1456773...jpg14567735614681646821466.jpg1456773...jpg14567736346811393266537.jpg1456773...jpg1456773654482208934867.jpg1456773...jpg1456773719408-2129883639.jpg1456773...jpg

Thanks for all the photos, those are just what I needed to see and confirmed the first photo.

The dovetails are all the evenly spaced type one finds with machine cut (as opposed to hand cut) joinery of the 20th century and that and one or two other features such as the absence of key escutcheons, and the use of plywood in the backboard all point to a manufacturing date in the 1930s or 1940s.

It looks to be well made and in good solid wood, well before the days of particle board etc, and a nice authentic reproduction of a Federal period highboy with attractive brass handles.

I can't see from your photo whether it has a bonnet top like this one.

If so, when cleaned up and wax polished, it would have a retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of about $900. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

If it's a horizontal molded top similar to this one, then a fair retail value would be $700.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert