Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am having a difficult time finding the correct

Customer Question
person/place to sell two 1800's...
I am having a difficult time finding the correct person/place to sell two 1800's swag mobier clocks w porcelain faces, crushed brass , working order w weights. I live in CT
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
It. Has been more than 24 hours..hello?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/1/2016
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is Diana.

.

Are you just looking for ideas of places to sell it? The reason I ask, is because we don't buy items and we're not allowed to put you in touch with individual buyers. For the most part, I could just give you a list of places you might consider.

.

~Diana

Ideas would work, most clock dealerships aren't into large swags....

Hi.

.

You've contacted antique clock dealers around you right?

.

If you've already tried that, then honestly, your best bet would be online. Online you're going to have the widest reach to the most collectors. For that you'll want more of the higher end sites. A site like Rubylane, GoAntiques or even Tias would be great. They function like online antique stores and generally command the higher prices. The downside is they have a higher set up free and take a larger percentage of the sale.

.

Etsy, Cyberattic and even Bonanza are great alternatives to those. Etsy has a good collector base and they generally have the lowest listing fees.

.

The hardest part will be shipping it. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight. Check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only.
.
Two other good shipping options are:
,
https://www.cratersandfreighters.com which has a good reputation.
and
http://www.uship.com/ .

.

As one alternative to that, you could try listing on Ebay and list it as a pick up only, that way there is no shipping. Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.

.

You might check with consigning at a higher end antique shop. The best way to find them is to check your yellow page. Look at the ads, not the listings. Ads cost money and generally the longest running and those that are actually making money are the ones to advertise in the yellow pages. I cannot recommend any single buyer, but you can post a free listing on Craigslist or you local classifieds. If you do go that route... it would be best if you make sure you can set up a neutral, public meeting place so you don't have strangers coming to your home.

.
Auctions tend to go either way. It just depends on the bidders. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price. If you'd like to check into local ones, you can use http://www.auctionzip.com/Auctioneer-Directory/.You can search by zipcode to find one nearby. Ask about whether they allow a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

~Diana