Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a small collection of framed Bourgeau Richards

Customer Question
I have a small collection...
I have a small collection of framed Barbara Bourgeau Richards watercolors, that she personally signed on the frame when I met with her in person in 1976. There are many prints advertised for sale on line, and I am wondering if I should hold on to what I have or let it go for the cheap prices currently offered?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/27/2016
Antique Expert: Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Sue,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Barbara Bourgeau-Richards, known to her fans as BB Richards, is a self taught international folk artist who begin painting in 1986. Since that time she has created over 600 original watercolors with 180 limited editions.

Whether or not you decide to sell your watercolors depends on you. If you can afford to hang onto them for a bit, then you should do that. It is true that the flooded market in Bourgeau-Richards prints is depressing prices of the watercolors, and this is not likely to end as long as the artist is making money doing the prints. Also, she's still alive and can always turn out more of these.

Will your watercolors appreciate in value? There's no way to tell. If the artist dies, or if she is in the public eye for any other reason - say, if she were to murder her husband - that would temporarily push the value of he work upwards. If the public - and we're talking about a very fickle group of buyers - moves on to another folk artist, or just forgets about Bourgeau-Richards, the market value of her work will drop.

My advice is to watch an see for now. Hang on to them if you can afford to do that, but pay attention to the market.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Sue.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Sue,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.