Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Can you give me a approximate auction price? Thank You
Frame is 16" x 22"
2/27/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and Welcome! Thank you for requesting me.

Thank you for the information and excellent photos.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Stuyvesant Van Veen (1910-1988)

"Stuyvesant Van Veen was born in NYC, Sept, 12, 1910. He emerged on the art scene in 1929 at the age of 19 when he became the youngest contributor to an international exhibition of morden paintings at the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh.

One of his best- known works is a series of seven murals in celebration of the Brooklyn Dodgers, a series that still exists in the lobbies of the Ebbets Field apartment complex in Brooklyn. He also painted murals at the 1938 Worlds Fair. Mr. Van Veen painted over 30 murals in Public buildings, private homes and institutions throughout the country during his career.

Stuyvesant studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, New York School of Industrial Art, The National Academy of Design, The Art Students League with Thomas Hart Benton and the City College of New York.

Mr. Van Veen was also a teacher, lecturer, book illustrator and set designer and research Associate in Department of Anthropology at Columbia University (1935-1938) . He also taught painting and drawing at City College of New York from 1949-1975. In 1972, he was elected to the American Academy and Institute of Arts & Letters."

Source wishes to remain anonymous.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of $965 for your 8 x 12" gouache on board by Van Veen.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser