Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'm wondering what my antique stove is worth. It's a copper…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm wondering what my...
Hello, I'm wondering what my antique stove is worth. It's a copper clad, VERY good condition. I don't know anything about these and my wife wants to know how much it's actually worth. There is a tag on the side that says "Copper Clad, St. Louis, MO, PB81-PN"
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/27/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This Copper Clad Stove in model PB81 was made in the 1920's. Very good condition indicates that the stove is not in need of a restoration. In this condition, the stove has a value of $1500 to $1800 retail. I am giving you a range of price to allow for any issues that it might have that you don't realize. I do hope this price will make your wife happy! Everyone wants these right now, so you could advertise on Craigslist and probably sell it rather quickly if selling was part of the plan.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Hm that's interesting. We didn't know it was that old, but we both thought it would be worth a little more from the searching we've done online. Is this model just more common or less desirable? I've seen some similar models in worse condition where people are asking $3,500-$5,000. I realize asking price is much different than actual value but I was just wondering if you could elaborate a little more on this one. For $1,500 it seems silly to part with it as its a really nice piece and extremely heavy!

This model and the PB88 were the most produced models by this company. It is possible that the stoves you are looking at are new restorations or different companies/models or even people that are simply putting high prices on their stoves. I think those prices are even high for a new restored model, though. The highest I have found for one that was completely restored (meaning repainted and all new parts) was $2,000.

I do hope you decide to keep your stove and enjoy it for many years. I am always for keeping antiques and using them because NEW things don't last anymore!

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.