Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Would you be able to give me a ball park figure on the

Customer Question

Would you be able to give me a ball park figure on the possible sale price of an antique iron fence which has just been perfectly restored? It is in pristine condition. It is forest green with silver and has been electronically painted. The fence has 25 sections, each 6 feet in length and three gates and nine posts.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ObjectsConservator1 replied 1 year ago.

Since it sounds like a complete fence with 150 linear feet, plus the gates, and has been restored, a ball park figure based on salvaged fencing and gates would be $3,500 to $5,000. That would depend on how ornate the metal work is. Was the paint job based on existing remnants of original colors? I ask because that's an unusual paint scheme for 19th century fencing. It was usually black. If you have a provenance for it, you might be able to ask more.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with your conservation and preservation questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the Antique Expert is unable to call me right now, when can I expect to hear from him or do I just do an online conversation with him. How would I go about trying to sell the fence---whom would I contact---any suggestions? I am concerned at this moment because I have recently spent $30,000 in restoring the fence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To the best of my knowledge, the fence has always been green. We tried to match the color as closely as possible. The individual who restored the fence believes it dates back to the 1800's, as you suggested---probably mid 1800's or possibly a bit more recently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if there is much demand for this vintage of iron fence? Could I bring it to your Roadshow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be helpful if I were to send you pictures? Where would I send them if I were to send them from a Smart Phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for not charging me for the phone call. When and how will I get a response to this online conversation, as I have not really had an online conversation? I have just simply presented my questions. How will I get the answers to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confused. If the Antique Expert is not available to call me, how can he be available to carry on an online conversation with me?