Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Would you be able to give me a ball park figure on the

Customer Question
possible sale price of an...
Would you be able to give me a ball park figure on the possible sale price of an antique iron fence which has just been perfectly restored? It is in pristine condition. It is forest green with silver and has been electronically painted. The fence has 25 sections, each 6 feet in length and three gates and nine posts.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/26/2016
Antique Expert: ObjectsConservator1, Restorer replied 2 years ago
ObjectsConservator1

Since it sounds like a complete fence with 150 linear feet, plus the gates, and has been restored, a ball park figure based on salvaged fencing and gates would be $3,500 to $5,000. That would depend on how ornate the metal work is. Was the paint job based on existing remnants of original colors? I ask because that's an unusual paint scheme for 19th century fencing. It was usually black. If you have a provenance for it, you might be able to ask more.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with your conservation and preservation questions.

If the Antique Expert is unable to call me right now, when can I expect to hear from him or do I just do an online conversation with him. How would I go about trying to sell the fence---whom would I contact---any suggestions? I am concerned at this moment because I have recently spent $30,000 in restoring the fence.
To the best of my knowledge, the fence has always been green. We tried to match the color as closely as possible. The individual who restored the fence believes it dates back to the 1800's, as you suggested---probably mid 1800's or possibly a bit more recently.
Do you know if there is much demand for this vintage of iron fence? Could I bring it to your Roadshow?
Would it be helpful if I were to send you pictures? Where would I send them if I were to send them from a Smart Phone?
Thank you for not charging me for the phone call. When and how will I get a response to this online conversation, as I have not really had an online conversation? I have just simply presented my questions. How will I get the answers to them?
I am confused. If the Antique Expert is not available to call me, how can he be available to carry on an online conversation with me?