Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am interested in finding out about the story, the subject…

Customer Question
I am interested in finding...
I am interested in finding out about the history, the subject matter, the age, and the value as well as an estimation of what the jewels imbedded are and whether or not it would be worth having the missing pieces of abalone restored.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/25/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This is a Nippon vase made in Japan between 1891 to 1911, depending on the mark on the bottom. An M with a wreath is 1910-1911 and the Oak Leaf with Nippon Hand Painted next to it is the mark from 1891. Some were also not marked.

This vase is hand painted and the blue and pink dots are a heavy application of enamel paint to create what looks like a gemstone. What looks like embedded jewels are slivers of abalone, an iridescent shell. This vase has a value of $125.00 retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.