Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have a beautiful Antique Stained Glass Shade Table Lamp.

Customer Question
We have a beautiful...

We have a beautiful Antique Stained Glass Shade for a Table Lamp. We do not have a base. One the underside of the shade, there is a metal tag that reads Bailey / Banks. I know of Bailey, Banks & Biddle, but I don't know of just Bailey / Banks. Can you help me to identify the maker of this shade, and can you help appraise it? The shade is beautiful and it does not repeat. How can I send you photographs?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/24/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This is Rarewares and I would love to help. Let's start by having a look at the shade. If you added pics with the original inquiry, it seems they did not ride along.

Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the shade and the mark you mentioned.

I am having a problem uploading the photos. I have them in drop box. Is there an email I could get from you.

You can email the pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward to me. This way takes a few hours usually, so thank you in advance for your patience.

I put a reference number in the email. I will resend them again. This time with "for rarewares"

thank you!

Just wondering if you had any success.

I have not received any photos yet. I will check with them.

Customer support said that there is nothing there from your registered email address and to make sure that you sent from the same address that you signed up with.

I use the site just like you do, so I have no access or knowledge of your account or billing, so I rely on them for sending me the photos.

I got the main picture of the shade. The second photo did not load, said that the file had an error it it. I would like to see the tag you had mentioned.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3n6avoh4lt269ph/AABLP6E5WooVqVCDXrYGRoBAa?dl=0

I will have to opt-out because I am not able to give you a definitive answer and I am not going to make guesses. There was never a Bailey Banks as a company, unless the Biddle fell off but I do not see a break to the copper tag. It looks like a Tiffany shade, but Tiffany was their fiercest competitor in the early 1900's and there is no record of them selling Tiffany lamps or shades, only Quezal Glass (nothing like your lamp). Of course, there were other makers of leaded glass shades at the time. I am just finding no definitive record of a partnership with any of the other lamp companies.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to use this info and your photos to continue the quest.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help.