Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an approximately 16" tall solid chromed brass finned

Customer Question

I have an approximately 16" tall solid chromed brass finned "rocket" (looks similar to a V2) that was in my parent's home as long as I can remember ( I am 70 years old). It can be unscrewed into two halves which reveals a small chamber. Around the chamber are dozens of fine holes that radiate circumferential my to the exterior. A 5/8 threaded hole in the side goes to the chamber. I have spoken to some nautical researchers that seem to think it may have been towed behind a vessel for data collection. There are no markings. I can provide pictures. Do you have any idea what it is or can you refer me to someone who might? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you the attached files of the "rocket"
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Do you mean this very one was towed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, a friend of mine who worked on a marine biology boat as a hand talked with some of the scientists which do that kind of work and they speculated it might be that but nobody had never seen one like mine, so it is an educated guess only. Looking under those parameters I have never been able to find one on the internet. As an engineer having worked with instrumentation it sounded plausible to me. So it is only guesswork.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have searched and searched, I have not found anything like this or anything like this ever having been sold. One of the other experts may have seen something like this before. I am going to opt out, and perhaps if someone has they will pick this up and be able to help you.

Glenda