Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I am an experienced collector of early American relics. I

Customer Question

I am an experienced collector of early American relics. I have three iron, one-foot square cast objects, each in the shape pf a hearth adorned to either side with figures and above with emblematic motifs. LOTS of age. Maybe 1700's. Can't find any reference to parallel woodburning stove doors and they are ver heavy, and impressive, Pictures on request--a fee for a definitive answer with supporting documentation. Abram *******/***-***-****
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added two more front views of the others, and one of the backs.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

We are an online site that values items for customers. Are you wanting a written appraisal for the items you have? The pieces are Salesman Samples from the 1800's, salesman would take these to General Stores, Hardware stores etc. In order to sale their product to these stores.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Glenda. Your answer is completely unsatisfactory. Start with this: You don't even say what they were samples for. Also, you don't seem to realize you are looking at a Federalist eagle, plainly a Federalist style,over one "hearth" and a British emblematic motif generally related to the the period of the Revolutionary War. Futhermore, the adjacent figurines are classical images, suggesting a possible military or funerary motif. The backs, with handmade bolts were functional and would have been actually attached to something. Unless you have documentation picturing what you so inaccurately describe as salesman samples, please refund my money immediately. Abram Epstein
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND PLAINLY WRONG> LACKING ANY SUBSTANTIATING DETAIL BECAUSE THERE IS NONE. Glenda has never seen anything like these aand she shouldn't have guessed--
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
REFUND MY MONEY!!!!
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am sorry but, I know what these are, having sold them many times in my 45 years in the business. I did not give you an answer at all.

I simply showed you, you have sales man samples of Fireplace Fronts. If you google Fireplace Mantles, salesman samples you might find them, but, I am opting out of this.

You can look here.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6972970_cast-iron-salesman-sample-fireplace-mantel-9-34

Glenda