Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

2/20/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the size of your painting not including the frame. Do not remove from frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

8" x10"

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

There are quite a few artists with the name Kendrick. It will take about 45 minutes for me to find the right one and compose my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you

You are welcome.

Here is my answer -

William Abernathy Kendrick (1889-1969) painted and lived in Texas. He is known for portrait and landscape painting.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of $400-425 for your 8 x 10" painting by Kendrick.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Do you really think it is William A. Kendrick because he signed his full name... Not just Kendrick?

I have seen artists have as many as 20 different signatures.

I determined that it was Will Kendrick because two out of the 7 paintings I found by him were almost identical to yours - fields of blue bonnets following down a road.

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM credited BY JA for my work.
Kind regards,

Doris