Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Here is the second picture, there are another two paintings…

Customer Question
Here is the second picture...
Here is the second picture, there are another two paintings at least, but not photographed them yet! This looks like Cluff Williams ? Welsh landscape painter 20th century but it is signed some name I cannot read but I think it has quality painted on hardboard first name is***** something possibly head? I think again measurements sort of 16" by 22" the colours are not quite as strong as I have got them it has never been varnished and signature looks like pencil
A
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2016-02-19 13.56.00.jpg2016-02...jpg2016-02-19 13.56.14.jpg2016-02...jpg2016-02-19 13.56.41.jpg2016-02...jpg2016-02-19 13.56.27.jpg2016-02...jpg
2/19/2016
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Got this one too! Thanks.

have just sent a hunting one but unable to add pictures to it?

Hi April.

This one took some tracking down.

The artist is Kay Cathcart, listed merely as "20th century British" with no other biographical details.

The paintings in the sales records (only two) were harbor scenes in Torbay in Cornwall, so I presume that's where he/she lived and worked although this landscape looks like it could be north Wales or the Highlands as it's too bleak, tree-less and mountainous to be anywhere in England. It reminds me of the Cuillins on the Isle of Skye, but the cottages are wrong, most of those are one story and not clustered like this, though possibly artistic license.

Judging by the brushwork, I would describe the artist as a self-taught hobby painter, though I do think this attempt at a moonscape almost works. Perhaps a "dusk scape" would be better as there's just too much warmth in that late summer hayfield to be moonlit.

As for value, we are looking at decorative appeal only for this one, as there's no collector following for this name, and unframed, so not 'wall ready' without some extra time and expense. Therefore perhaps £50 - £120 at auction and £150 replacement/insurance.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert

You are clever and at least it gives one a peg to hang it from so to speak. I was in the middle of sending you a message early this evening when my computer downstairs has decided that it is not switched on to inter net and keeps on telling me to change my plugs and switch on the internet switch which it dosen't appear to have! BUT this old one upstairs seems connected so not sure if you got my question about moss agate bowl? I think If I can find an old frame for Kay Cathcart ( quite a Scottish name perhaps a highland scape?)

Yes, most likely a Highland scape, and certainly a Scottish name.

Hope you get your on line connection sorted out. Dealing with connection problems is what my sister aptly calls "Grasping the Inter-Nettle"