Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I would like to sell these chairs but I cannot find them…

Customer Question
I would like to sell...
I would like to sell these chairs but I cannot find them anywhere, just thousands that are similar in some ways. This fabric is a heavy vinyl(?). The cushions are very heavy and are not not easily removed it at all. It has a very "grainy" feel and is in excellent condition. There are brass studs on the back. The cane sides seems to be unusual as well. I cannot find a name or maker anywhere.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/19/2016
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

The Chairs are Mid Century Modern Club Chairs. Are you wanting the current market value for these?

I know that much information. What I need to know is who made them and the value.

Hello

Sorry, I thought when you wrote " I cannot find a name or the maker " you meant you did not know the name of the chair. If the chairs are not marked with a makers name there is no way to find the maker. There were hundreds of companies that made this chair, they are quite common from the 50's and 60's. They are not found on the internet because as vast as the internet is, there is but 1/16th of the items in Price Guides, Antique Books and Antique Furniture Books. It takes a lot of money to scan all items from a book, create a website, maintain a website and then pay google to be able to advertise your website. So there is a lot missing on the internet that is found in books.

These can be valued but, the maker cannot be determined.

Glenda

Thank you, ***** ***** think this was a misunderstanding. If there was a maker on the chair, I could find the value myself. That is why I gave you the information on the particulars that I was having a difficulty narrowing down. I have already looked at thousands of these chairs. I was assuming whoever was assigned this would be an expert in mid century. Please refund my money.
Thank you, Susan

Susan,

I am very much an expert in Mid Century. I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, have bought and sold Mid Century Modern forever.

I was only explaining to you no appraiser can tell you who made a chair if it is not marked. It can be valued but the maker cannot be determined without it being marked. The chair has not characteristics that make it stand out as one of the top designers of the Mid Century Modern Era. This is a very common style, and make of chair, they were produced by many companies such as Bassette, Kholer, Broyhill, and many more. Every furniture company during that time made this style chair. The Chair at some point may have had a label on it on the bottom, that was removed. Top designers, and furniture companies that made special designs marked their names in the wood. If you have looked at many of these then you already know the value of this style chair.

You did not actually ask anything, you just stated " I cannot find a name or maker anywhere" . I thought you meant a name of the Chair, and you wanted the maker if that could be determined. I was explaining it can be valued but maker cannot be determined. I am sorry I could not tell you who made this.

If you want a refund you need to contact customer service. They will be glad to help you. Appraisers do not work for Just Answer, we are independent.

.

Just to let you know the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site we do not work for them. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post to the site. We have nothing to do with the customers accounts or business dealings with Just Answer. We are not privy to any information regarding the customers account. We are just a user of the site like the customer is. We have been verified to come to the site to answer questions, that is all we do.

If you have a problem with the account or need to cancel you will need to contact customer service at the Just Answer site you can do so by clicking " Contact Us" at the bottom of the page. Or call them at 1(###) ###-####/p>

Glenda

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur