Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have just opened boxes(!) of my husband's grandmother's…

Customer Question
I have just opened boxes(!)...
I have just opened boxes(!) of my husband's grandmother's China. It is white with an intricate gold border of ivy leaves and the plates are also edged with gold. The bottom is marked with a red orb and K.P.M., above which is a mark that appears to be a blue bumpy line crossed at an angle approx halfway down and topped with three shoots. Each plate is also marked, in black, with a small "10/2 gg". I can't find any indication of what that may mean...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/17/2016
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Deidre,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your husband's heirloom china.

Thanks for the excellent description and the photo of the mark. I can see exactly what you have. This is rare and expensive stuff -made by the Royal Porcelain works in Berlin, one of the pre-eminent porcelain factories in the world.

If you can get me a full inventory of what the set consists of, especially including the serving pieces (as these are always the most valuable items in any service) I'll tell you all about it and put a value on it.

Also, can you attach a photo of the pattern.

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert

Thanks so much for the quick response, Robert! I'm attaching a picture of the front of the plate (a bread & butter, I believe), and I have just begun the process of unwrapping some of the pieces, so no inventory yet. I don't think there are too many serving pieces, though, although I think there are a couple of large shallow bowls and a couple of platter size plates...the task is a bit daunting as the pieces were poorly wrapped in scrap paper and stored in a cardboard box - I'm avoiding spider webs, cockroach dirt and lots of dust that was also wrapped with the China. There are a significant number of plates - small, medium and dinner size, though. It is late here, and I will continue unwrapping and washing tomorrow.

There's no rush this end, tomorrow is just fine. I'll be here whenever you are ready.

It's tax day for me in the morning, too, so the later the better!

Also, when you get a chance in the morning, could you photograph the pattern in daylight. It looks like there's a lot of raised gold enamel around the rim of the plates but the photo you attached is too blurry to see the detail.

I don't envy you the process of unwrapping, but knowing that each of those dinner plates could be worth up to $200 each might make the process go a little easier.

Have fun!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Robert

Hi Robert - hope the taxes are going well. I'm still at unwrapping and washing (more carefully now that I know this China could have value), working around painters and visitors so slow going, but I have a couple of pictures for you...
One of the pattern and then I did unearth a couple of serving pieces...in mixed condition. The gravy boat has chips all around the bottom edge (the part it rests on) and the smaller of the 2 oval platters has chips missing from the edge with the gold design. The large Oval and circular platters are in good condition and the square bowl also. The large tureen is in good condition, but if it has a lid, that is missing. The pedestal bowl with its lid are both in good condition. Still don't have an inventory, but there are place setting bowls, B&B plates and salad plates. Depending on what size a dinner plate is, I don't believe I have any of those.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks for the really helpful photos, Deirdre, what an extremely beautiful set this is!

It's probably best to wait until you have a full inventory of it all before I start giving you values.

What I can tell you so far is that this is emphatically Royal Berlin porcelain -also known as "KPM"- which are the initials for its name in German, Königliche Porzellan Manufaktur and an example of their famous "Neuosier" (new basket-willow) design with the swirling relief fluting & basketweave and gorgeous naturalistic twig handles.

A version of this pattern with the same border as on yours, but with the addition of hand painted posies of flowers was the personal china of Kaiser Wilhelm II, no less. And all meticulously monogrammed in enamel on the reverse.

If you have any dinner plates, they'll be around 10" to 10 3/4" in diameter.

The chipped pieces are not going to have a lot of value but the others will certainly add up to a respectable sum.

Let me know when you have a full list and we'll go from there.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Hi Robert,
A couple of things...your email today contained an offer for a free trial, but I believe I started off this whole thing with a $48 payment through PayPal. How do I check that as there was never a place for me to enter a username/password, so I don't think I actually have an account. During our communication, I just kept the conversation open. Who do I speak with to straighten that out?
And I did take pictures of each type of item I have of the KPM china and have numbers of each plate type, as well as, another china pattern from Fondeville - 12 luncheon plates/ 12 demitasse cups & saucers, and then a statue of a boy. Do you want them in an email, a zip file...what works?
Thanks, Deirdre

Hi Deirdre,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I work "on" but not "for" JustAnswer as an independent agent, so am not the best person to ask about free trials and subscriptions and so on, and have no idea what they are putting on your screen.

The best thing is to contact Customer Support, phone number 1.***-***-**** and have them go through this with you.

Meanwhile your initial $48 question stays open for as long as you wish it to, and you don't have to pay anything unless or until you get an answer you are happy with. Everything is refundable including your good faith deposit (if you paid with a credit card) if at any stage you wish to cancel.

That's great that you now have an inventory of the china, all I need is the numbers and type of each piece, as in 12 dinner plates, 12 soup bowls, etc and all the serving pieces and I'll give you an appraisal on that (I already have enough images with the photos you've already sent).

Then I'll do the Fondeville set as a new question (I get paid by JustAnswer by the question) so just initiate a new Q and put "For Robert S...." in the subject line and I'll be sure to get it. I'll need a photo of the pattern and the mark on the back of one of the pieces. Just attach them here by clicking on the paperclip icon. Include the statue of the boy in this Q with a photo of him and the bottom of the statue and I'll do it all in one question.

Hope this makes sense,
Best wishes,
Robert

Thanks, ***** ***** the info on membership questions - I'll put a call in tomorrow to figure it out, and open a second question for you with the Fondeville demitasse set and the statue.
Regarding the KPM china, I have a tally of the various pieces...(and I took a picture, front and back of each different piece, with a ruler to give dimension, if that is any help).
1 square serving bowl
1 tureen with handles (no lid - there may not be one, doesn't look like it's missing)
1 footed bowl with handles and a handled lid
1 large round platter
1 large oval platter
1 saucer (for a teacup)
9 small bread & butter plates
5 medium salad (?) plates
18 dinner plates
7 rimmed soup (?) bowls
In addition, there are the following additional pieces, which are chipped:
1 small oval platter
1 gravy boat
2 dinner plates
1 soup bowl
3 salads
1 diamond shaped serving bowl which has a piece (about the size of a 50 cent piece which I have) broken from the edgeThanks for your work on this. Please let me know if you'd like the pictures with the ruler.
Regards, Deirdre

Hi Deirdre,

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about you!

I'll have an answer for you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Robert

Going by the mark, I would say this set dates to the 1920s or 1930s, possibly the 1950s, but unlikely as very little KPM porcelain came to the West in the aftermath of World War II. The factory was destroyed in an Allied bombing raid in 1943. It was relocated to Selb, Bavaria for 12 years after the war, and did not resume production in its original location in the Tiergarten district, Berlin, until 1957 and then only as a shadow of its former self.

So here are the value ranges to expect if you were to sell on the secondary market, namely, at auction or on line (eBay etc)

1 square serving bowl.............................................60 - 100
1 open tureen with handles..................................... 80 - 120
1 footed bowl with handles and a handled cover........200 - 300
1 large round platter..............................................120 - 180
1 large oval platter.................................................150 - 200
9 bread & butter plates + 1 saucer.......................... 135 - 200
5 salad plates........................................................150 - 225
18 dinner plates.....................................................900 -1350
7 rimmed soup plates.............................................300 - 450
Damaged pieces
1 small oval platter
1 gravy boat
2 dinner plates
1 soup bowl
3 salads
1 diamond shaped serving bowl ...............................120 - 180 for all

Total.........................................................circa $2200 - $3300

Therefore the set has a full replacement value of at least $6000 for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert