Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Dear Antique Expert, and I literally have a full household

Customer Question

Dear Antique Expert,
My name is ***** ***** I literally have a full household of old and beautiful antiques that have been passed down through many, many generations; many have stories behind them. They are being used and/or displayed in our “Modern” home. Unfortunately, my children have not even the slightest interest in them, and my father (Who is a 99-year-old veteran) and I (And every deceased descendant of ours) would “Roll-over in our graves” if these wonderful pieces were just “Sold” as used furniture.
Of possible interest, my family can be traced back around 1,000-years. I have the book of Genealogical Record (Copyright 1888), by Dr. Jeremiah Spofford (Distant grandfather); "Few families in this country can trace a more authentic record of their European ancestry than can the Spoffords. The name appears in the Dooms Book, which is the record of the lands of England, as parceled out after the conquest by William, Duke Of Normandy, in the year 1066." Bryan Spofford was a priest who was the rector of Barton in Ryendale England. He got married (Contrary to the edicts of the church) and was ordered to “Put-away”. He refused and was “Deprived” in Queen Mary’s reign in 1554. From this date the family became protestants and declined in property and influence for many generations. In 1629, Walter Palmer left his home in Nottingham , England and came to America and initially settled in Massachusetts. After a time, he and three companions traveled to Connecticut and founded the city of “Stonington”.
Recognizable ancestors: Francis Marion and ***** *****. I have a “Lace cap” on display that was worn by “Polly Berry Lanphere” 1790 - 1851, wife of “Pardon Lanphere, Sr.” 1762 - 1827, and great granddaughter of “***** *****” 1603 - 1683 (He founded Rhode Island). We own a “Seaman’s Chest” that is in incredible condition (Right down to the hinges) that is dated 1776. I also have a “Simply gorgeous” dresser that Nancy and Henry Coffeen brought to Wisconsin from Watertown New York, by boat VIA the Great Lakes to Sheboygan Wisconsin, then overland (By covered wagon), to Taycheedah Wisconsin (Approximately 50-miles as-a-crow-flies) . They arrived October 11th, 1850.
I believe we possess many other significant items, from wonderful bedroom furniture sets and dressers to other ancient items I am not going to get into at this time.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

We are an online appraisal service. We do not work on percentages, or come to a person's home. Did you think you were talking to some other web page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what I expected, but not this. Suddenly I was hit with expenses, when I thought I was going to have a discussion.Nevermind
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have no idea what you mean.

Just to let you know the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site we do not work for them. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post to the site. We have nothing to do with the customers accounts or business dealings with Just Answer. We are not privy to any information regarding the customers account. We are just a user of the site like the customer is. We have been verified to come to the site to answer questions, that is all we do.

If you have a problem with the account you will need to contact customer service at the Just Answer site you can do so by clicking " Contact Us" at the bottom of the page. Or call them at 1(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

My name is Nora. This sounds like you have a very important collection that pertains to the ancient Spofford line and periods in American history. I am sorry to read that after all these years the younger generations of your family do not want to keep the collection intact and with the family. This does happen all too often. Since it is more than likely that the majority of the pieces in your collection have a solid provenance, or record of prior ownership, this helps tremendously with confirming the age and history of the items. I highly recommend contacting M.S. Rau in New Orleans. They are one the premiere high-end antique stores in the country who handle items with rich provenance and connections to history. I can also help with referrals to auction houses, for if you go that route, you really want to choose the right company who will work to your benefit.

I am also sending an Additional Services offer for us to chat on the phone, you do not have to choose to accept the call. In the meantime, please let me know what other questions you may have about your collection.

~Nora