Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

My elderly mother is all excited about a squash blossom

Customer Question

My elderly mother is all excited about a squash blossom necklace she found and bought for $19 at a local resale shop. It is clearly made from an inexpensive metal, but she likes it. Fun to wear--great for that purpose--normally I wouldn't give it a second thought. However, she and a friend have a trip to New Mexico coming up in May. And she wants to take the necklace with her to have it appraised. My mother is an intelligent, well-traveled person, but I think her vision is not what it used to be. I think she has accepted that the metal is not sterling silver, but wonders if the stones are of any value. I cannot imagine anyone using natural turquoise -of any grade- in a necklace of such cheap-looking metal. I worry her wealthy travel companion will be embarrassed or, worse, think she's lost her mind! Any thoughts? Suggestions? Many thanks for your time! Deborah
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Deborah,

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the front of the necklace, the back of the necklace and the clasp. Some Native American jewelry was not marked at all because they were exempt from assay stamping rules in some cases. I can't wait to see it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will take a photograph and send it to you when I see my mother next. (We are currently snowed-in in the mountains of Virginia!). There are stamped numbers on the metal on the back of the necklace. Definitely not "925".
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

That sounds good. I will get an email alert when you do add photos.