Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am trying to get an appraisal ,the marking is Haviland…

Customer Question
I am trying to get...
I am trying to get an appraisal for china,the marking is Haviland France,decorated by
Haviland & Co., Limoges. There is service for six, plates, bowls, cups and saucers, some serving pieces. Those are meat platter,covered dish, serving bowl, creamer, and bread and butter plates. Also, if possible where could it be sold.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/14/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add a picture of the set and of the mark on one piece.

There are three pictures of the pieces, thank you. I still need one more of the mark. The shape and color of it helps with pinpointing a date for the set.

There are two separate markings top one is "Haviland over France in blue. The second is in red Decorated By, then below also in red is Haviland and Co, in arch shape, below the arch is Limoges. also in red. Had I know you need it I could have taken a picture. It is small and may not have come out very well. The colors of the china is deep blue almost navy with gold and some red on white back ground.. I have gotten this site name from the Antique Roadshow web site.Thank you for you assistanceCatherine

I sent a photo of what the mark should look like on the back of your pieces.

This set is Haviland Limoges porcelain made from 1926 to 1931 by Haviland, Limoges in the Schleiger 510 pattern with blue and red urns and swags. They also made the same pattern with green and red colors.

This set as a whole has a value of $1100 to $1500.00. The best place to sell is to contact your local auction house and consign the set to them. They would sell it for you then you would get a check 14 to 45 days later for the hammer price minus their 20% commission. You can use Google search to find an auctioneer in your area.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I would appreciate knowing how to contact someone who does auctions for this type property, and if they ask about how I
got it appraised do I use "rarewares" as the answer?

You can use Google search and use the search term "auctioneer in *insert your nearest large city here*" and that should give you a list of a few in your area. I use this site just like you do, so I have no knowledge of your account details or where you are in the country.

If asked about how you know the value of your set, you would just say that you got an appraisal online at justanswer.com.

Thank you for your help. I am confused about where to the ratings. Personally you were very helpful. What was the name of the pattern?

This pattern has no name, which is not uncommon.

There should be a set of stars for you to click, 5 being the best rating for me. Unless they have changed it, they should follow you down the page if you are on a desktop computer.