Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My dad has an antique wash tub not electric that says vac…

Customer Question
Hi Diane my dad has...
Hi Diane my dad has an antique wash tub not electric that says vac cup no 741. Made in Syracuse by by Burlington mfg co.. It has dual vac cups is in excellent shape and I believe the soaking tub to match. Both tubs were made by Pittsburg steel but the soak tub has no other identification markings. Any idea what year it was made and its value?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/10/2016
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi and thanks for requesting me. Do you have any pictures of it? I'll be glad to take a look and tell you whatever I can about it.

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos.
.
Here's another way that works really well:
.
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
Click "Computer".
Double click the image you want to upload.
Click "Start Upload".
When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.
.
If those don't work you can email them.
.

Email the pictures to***@******.***

They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

.
Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

.
That should do it.

.
Thanks,

Diana

Thank you. He lives an hour south of me so I will be sure to take a picture in the next few days and email it to you!!

That sounds great. thanks! If you need any help just let me know.

~Diana

Here are some photos Diane! Thanks so much! We are excited to learn more. :)
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Hi! I wasn't expecting to hear for you until tomorrow. =)

.

That looks amazing. I can't believe it's in such fantastic shape. That looks brand new.

.

Just to make sure, you have 2 pieces right-- the actual vac cup washer and a 2nd soaking tub is that right?

.
~Diana

he has both. Picture 4 is the soak tub and pictures 1,2,3, and 5 are the wash tub.

Great. I didn't get 5 pictures, but I did get 1 of each of the tubs and a close up. That's why I wanted to be sure. Thanks for all the pictures.

.

That's a Vac Cup semi-automatic washing machine that was made by Burlingame Manufacturing Co. There are records on the company going back to about 1919. I managed to find an old advertisement for the Vac Cup dated 1924. I dug a bit further and found an old write up from about 1920 that said before that it was first called The Easy Hand-Power Clothes Washing Machine. There isn't much on the machine or the company after about 1925. So, given all that, I think your dad's machine dates to about 1920 to 1924.

.
There were other similar machines around this time. Some had copper tubs, some wooden. Some even came with wringers to "dry" the clothes. One of the closest was some of the early Maytag models. Unlike most your dad's have the cup design which functions a lot like an agitator. To be honest, you don't see as many of these anymore and when you don't, they are rarely in the condition of your dad's.

.

There is no official record of it being sold or made with a soaking tub, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't. Records are a little spotty on who made all the different pieces for the machine. There was Pittsburgh steel back then and the style fits the tub, so I would say more than likely both are original. Both tubs don't appear to be missing anything and overall they look to be in near mint condition. Given the condition, the washer should be worth about $400 to $500 and the soaking tub should be worth about $150 to $200.

.

The prices really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell them. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale.

.
The hardest part will be selling them. Shipping would be absolutely expensive, but,if you can find a cheap route, it could be worth it. You could try listing on Ebay and list it as a pick up only, that way there is no shipping.

.
There is also craigslist and ebayclassifieds, which is similar to ebay, but it's pickup only and free. Both are ways to go, but if you go that route make sure you set up a neutral meeting place somewhere very public.That way you don't have strangers coming to your house and you're not some place alone. If you do have someone come there, make sure you're not home alone. I don’t generally recommend craigslist because of the bad things that can happen, but with large items it is a viable option.
.

If you don't want to try those, you might check with consigning at a higher end antique shop. The best way to find them is to check your yellow page. Look at the ads, not the listings. Ads cost money and generally the longest running and those that are actually making money are the ones to advertise in the yellow pages.

.
Auctions tend to go either way. It just depends on the bidders. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.

.
If you'd like to check into local ones, you can use http://www.auctionzip.com/Auctioneer-Directory/.You can search by zipcode to find one nearby.

.
If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options,like freight, greyhound, Amtrak, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. Two other good shipping options are:

.
https://www.cratersandfreighters.com which has a good reputation.
and

.
http://www.uship.com/

.
If you look into different shipping alternatives and are willing to try that, you might also considering listing it with places like Rubylane, Tias or even Cyberattic or Etsy. They can help you reach sellers all over the US.
.

Some of those sites will also let you do a "pick up only" route, but most lean more toward shipping items to the buyers.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great evening

Diana

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need?
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.
If you've already rated it, thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Thanks!
~Diana