Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I want to know what kind of plating was used by and Barton…

Customer Question
I want to know what...
I want to know what kind of plating was used by Reed and Barton for Dimension Tea set designed in 1960 by John Prip. I want to replate insides of tea, coffee, cream and sugar for use now. Currently it is corroded and dark.
Thank you so much, I am sincerely ***** ***** Brody
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Shema,

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

The silver process is called electroplating. Via the use of chemicals, a thin layer of sterling is deposited on a base metal to re-plate it.

I am not sure if the craftsman that does this for you can just re-plate the insides. You can ask but as I said, it involves liquid chemical depositing.

In addition to having been electroplated, the inside of the creamer would have originally been gilded.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM COMPENSATED BY JA for my time and effort. This is of NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris