Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

An Illinois Watch Co. "gold" pocket watch was left to me as…

Customer Question
An Illinois Watch Co. "gold"...
An Illinois Watch Co. "gold" pocket watch was left to me as a result of the death of a family member. This watch is engraved on both the front and back. It is in extemely good condition, however presently not running. There is a number engraved on the inside of the front cover of "179669". I believe it belonged to my great grandfather. Approximate value?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/3/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please add photos of the watch and one photo of the movement. The movement is found behind a cuvee' (dust cover) and will have words and numbers printed on it. This is the where the actual serial number of the watch is located. There is usually a small indentation or lip there where you get leverage enough to pop it open. The number you have provided that is on the inside case refers to the case maker and not the watch maker, which is a common misunderstanding. You can use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures.