Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

An Illinois Watch Co. "gold" pocket watch was left to me as

Customer Question

An Illinois Watch Co. "gold" pocket watch was left to me as a result of the death of a family member. This watch is engraved on both the front and back. It is in extemely good condition, however presently not running. There is a number engraved on the inside of the front cover of "179669". I believe it belonged to my great grandfather. Approximate value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please add photos of the watch and one photo of the movement. The movement is found behind a cuvee' (dust cover) and will have words and numbers printed on it. This is the where the actual serial number of the watch is located. There is usually a small indentation or lip there where you get leverage enough to pop it open. The number you have provided that is on the inside case refers to the case maker and not the watch maker, which is a common misunderstanding. You can use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures.