Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have two original Carionas reverse glass paintings. One is…

Customer Question
I have two original George...
I have two original George Carionas reverse glass paintings. One is titled Daily Racing and is 20X20 inches. The other paining is titled The Touts and is 30 7/8 x 41 inches.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
2/2/2016
Antique Expert: Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Good afternoon, my name is***** am an IRS qualified fine art appraiser. Thank you for your question about

George CRIONAS (1925-2004). I will look at his current standing in the art market for you.

Jamie Boudreaux can be reached at(###) ###-####if you need any additional information about the reverse glass painting as she knows the full history of the work.
I type the artist name incorrectly. George Crionas is the artist.

Here is the information on your Artist:

Artist Biography:
George C. Crionas was born in Detroit, MI on Sept. 25, 1925. Crionas lived in Michigan before moving to southern California. He died in Canoga Park, CA on March 24, 2004. He often painted clowns.
Source:
E***** *****, "Artists in California, 1786-1940" .

Your works are limited edition prints (mixed media on paper). Look to the lower left you have 234/300

These are works produced in multiples rather than an original.

The values that we give are based on actual sales records not asking prices. Which I know are very high for this artist. I looked at 2,700 auction results for works by George CRIONAS the highest sales for one like yours was $250.00 to $300.00. That would be for each of your prints.

I asked Jamie, she said that her's are reverse oil on glass, not a print and that he signed each.

I found no evidence that he did reverse painting. When I look at the image you posted of the "Touts" I see the paper beneath. An easy test is: If you take the glass off is the painting on the glass or on the paper behind?

I will look at it with her this evening and get back with you if it is in fact oil on glass.

Very good.

Jamie Reply: It's on both- paper and the glass to give a "3D" look, Artist signed
George did very few of these.

Are you planning on buying this?

I am trying to value for a divorce settlement.

With this artist, as with any work of art, is how important his work is and if there is a collector base for it. With George CRIONAS there is little or no market. I know the online asking prices are high. But the reality is that of the 2700 pieces by this artist that have come to auction only 65 sold for less than $500.00. The best his original work has ever sold for is $425.00. that was in 2007 by 2015 $250.00 is the value for the Touts. For 'The Racing Form' $125.00, if that considering the subject.

Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques