Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a and Barton silverplate tea set with a pattern #

Customer Question
I have a Reed and...
I have a Reed and Barton silverplate tea set with a pattern # *****
I have a Reed & Barton silverplate tea set design # ***** with a date of March 1 1870 on it. What could it be worth?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/30/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the pieces in your set.

Kind regards,

Doris

Reed & Barton

Thank you for that information.

Please tell me what pieces are in the set?

Kind regards,

Doris

I am going to need two photos - One of the set and one of the marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

There are 4 pieces, teapot, sugar, and creamer. The fourth is a large bowl, almost as big as the teapot and looks like the sugar bowl. There some spots on the set where the silverplate has been polished off. The hinge on the teapot lid is broken. A lid is missing on the large bowl. The set sits on a Wilcox, IS, International Silver Co., American Rose, 7391 tray.
My wife, who owns the set, does not want to be doing this on line.

Understood. I am having difficulty locating a pattern 2507. Please check the number once again.

Kind regards,

Doris

Maybe this will help. Please tell me if any of these symbols appear on the bottoms of your set. See the following image.

The date 1870 could have been engraved much later than 1870. We can never be sure that an engraved date is the actual date of production. The engraved dates are often used to commemorate a past event.

Kind regards,

Doris

I found your pattern. The tray, American Rose, by Wilcox IS, was made between 1900 and before the 1930s.. Its retail value is $230 according to my retail sources.

As for the tea service, the large bowl is the waste bowl meant for extra tea leaves that were left after the tea was strained or poured.

The design was patented in 1870 by Reed & Barton. This does not mean the set was made in 1870.

The design 2507 would have been popular for long time - probably until ca 1900.

Unfortunately, plated silver value has dropped significantly in the last 20 years.

Sterling has maintained its value as people buy it for investment purposes.

Also unfortunate is the fact that some of the plating has worn off your set.

A buyer would need to have it re-silvered which can be expensive.

From my research, I am able to value the 4 pieces = teapot, creamer, sugar, and waste at $250 retail.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Sset up your own small store on this site.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

I wish I could tell you it was worth more.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM COMPENSATED BY JA for my time and effort. This is of NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris