Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large pot I believe to be a pot designed by

Customer Question
Gotfreid semper with dragon handles...
I have a large pot I believe to be a pot designed by Gotfreid semper with dragon handles. One slightly legible mark seems to be a letter B or R with Marseilles on the left of central letter and Florence on the right impressed. Is this a mark of his?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/29/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the marks.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

I will send pictures of markings and pot- the dragons are wrapped around the pot and tails form handles there seems to be perhaps remnants of a blue underglaze stamp ( perhaps Minton from 1842 mh&co? Only top of stamp visible if it's stamp at all) dragons seem reminiscent of lizards on Semper fountain in Dresden . Central R letter seems to be outlined with possibly diamond shape. Sending photos already taken but perhaps may be able to take others more clearly.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

There are 3 images attached that I can see here on my end - 2 of the obscured stamp and one of side of pot showing lizard tail end. Is it possible to capture a more in-focus image of those impressed letters as well as the underglaze blue stamp and the diamond mark. Ultimately, the diamond mark, if impressed well can establish the day, month and year this was made.

~Nora

I'm not sure it's a Minton mark ( R) it seems to be in a six sided shield and part of the stamp which reads Marseilles on the left and possibly Florence ( that part kind of curves down on the right. To the top left of the R shield it looks like a D and to the left of that , an impressed triangle shape. I'm sending a few more pics but will take clearer ones when I get home this afternoon.

The R in diamond mark is a British Registry diamond, and that will help date this; it is not a maker mark. If you can please include a very clear, in-focus image of the R diamond stamp to start, that will be very helpful.

~Nora