Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large blanket chest with till. It is a hard,

Customer Question
Hello. I have a large...
Hello. I have a large blanket chest with till. It is a hard wood, possibly walnut. On the inside lid is part of a fraktur with unicorns. There is a date of 1755. On the left hand corner there is a lead signature that is barely readable with a date of 1765. It seems that it was either inherited or bought and repainted with a reddish smoke technique as there is another signature - Charlie Carlin or Carlina 1875. As well, on the front the name is ***** ***** raised paint outlined in dots with tulips on each corner. The chest is covered with a film of embedded dust. It has hand forged tulip hinges and handles. It has trim in two places on the bottom and over type legs. It is about 42" long by 24" wide and 24" high. Too, on the fraktur it says Libenon but I am assuming it refers to Lebanon Pennsylvania.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
I think the legs are an over type. Original lock is gone. A replacement was added on the inside at some point.
Ogee type, that is.
1/29/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the signatures and years on it.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Thank you Nora. I do not have pictures with me now but will send them later today.

You can send images at your convenience. No rush, there is not a time limit here.

~Nora