Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I HAVE A WOODEN CASE. THE TOP OPENS SHOWING EIGHT GOBLETS

Customer Question

I HAVE A WOODEN CASE. THE TOP OPENS SHOWING EIGHT GOBLETS THAT ARE 6.50 INCHES HIGH. AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS BOX A DRAWER OPENS SHOWING EIGHT GOBLETS STANDING 4,50 INCHES HIGH. THE SMALLER HAS A LARGER DIAMETER AT THE TOP (4.25 INCHES) AND THE TALLER HAS A DIAMETER THAT IS 3 1/8 INCHES. tHE MARKING ON THE BOTTOM IS d Uberti and under the name is Italy. Looking on ebay I find a lot of silver plate goblets by the same company and I wanted to know how do I tell is I have silver plate or sterling silver?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Marguerite,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Italian goblet set.

Does it look like this one, by any chance?

(If substantially different, can you provide a photo and one of the Uberti mark)

Many thanks,
Robert S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok lets continue the online conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know how to tell if these things are sterling or silver plate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please email me your response and how much will this cost me?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Apologies, I see I didn't add the link to the image.

Does the set look like this one?

Robert,

PS No need to respond to the phone request, besides, it will cost you an extra $18 which you don't need to pay. The phone request did not come from me, it's automatically generated by the site. I work 'on' but not for JustAnswer as an independent agent so have no control over these things! So my apologies for the confusion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my set looks like your picture except the drawer holds the smaller goblets. So, how do I tell if this is sterling or silver plate?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The symbol on the bottom looks like a bird but I see the initials " K I ".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really can not stay on line anymore. Will you email me the answer to my question and once again I ask "how much is this going to cost me"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call me as I have to get off the computer. I am disappointed that I cannot find out about the charges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - please email me. Marguerite
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience, Marguerite, I just had to check a few details before I could give you a meaningful response.

These sets by De Uberti were all silverplate, I'm afraid, not sterling. They were imported to the US in the 1950s - 1970s and marketed by Gorham.

If they were sterling silver they would either have the word "STERLING" or they would be marked with the silver fineness number, in this case .925 or with a star, a number and a province abbreviation like this which are the conventions for the marking of Italian silver.

As such, your boxed set would therefore have a secondary market value (at auction or on line) in the range of $80 - $120.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $240.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert

PS You will not be charged anything unless or until you accept my answer, except for the good faith deposit you made (which is also refundable on request). The total cost to you (including the deposit) should you accept my answer, will be $38.00. I hope this makes sense. R

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree to the $38.00 charge.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Okay great, thanks!

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Many thanks,

Robert