Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Where can I find information about a 1910 Gustav stickley…

Customer Question
where can I find information...
where can I find information about a 1910 Gustav stickley China cabinet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/26/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Item is in storage and not currently available for photos. I have learned that it may be a 1915 China cabinet instead of 1910. Size is approx. 40w x 60h x 15 d. It has double glass doors (no muntins) at top and small double wood doors at bottom. Backing is old velvet and shelves are wooden. Has original finish and some original glass. I am only interested in a general range of value. I am not planning on selling item. It has the Gustav stickley label on the back. Thanks.

Thank you for the additional information.

Here is a link that shows the Stickley marks, would you be able to recognize which label is on your cabinet?

http://www.stickleymuseum.com/ExploreStickleyHistory.cfm?SubPg=ShopmarksHistory&more=yes

~Nora

I pretty sure it is the craftsman workshops paper label 1912-1916.

Ok, thank you for checking. ~Nora

Is it possible for you to identify if your piece look like colonial style furniture or mission era arts & crafts?

~Nora

There is a picture of an identical cabinet on the net. Google " Gustav stickley China cabinet", then on "images" click on "view all". Go to the 14th row ; it is the second picture from the right.

Our google search engines will be different on image searches. If you can go to the photo you found and copy/paste the link here, I will be able to view the comparable for you.

~Nora

I am just checking in to see if you can send me a link to the image comparable you found. Again, google searches are tailored and I would not see the same images as you on a google image search.

~Nora

http://www.isaklindenauer.com/shop-highlights.htmlThere is a picture towards the bottom of a double door cabinet from 1915.

Does yours also not have the panes in front of the glass front doors?

~Nora

The front doors and side glasses are all one single piece of glass without divisions into smaller panes. The overall condition of the piece isn't perfect but it is good for an original finish. Two of the glasses are original and two are replacements.

And it does not look like panes have been removed at some point? This is an unusual for for Stickley to not have panes over the glass door fronts.

~Nora

It never had panes. Over the years I have seen pictures of three identical cabinets.

Did you happen to contact the antique shop that sold the comparable example that you found?

~Nora

No I just found that picture

Ok, I am still searching for comparables of Stickley pieces without panes on the glass fronts.

~Nora

I have not found other sale comparables of Stickley furniture without panes over the glass fronts.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora