Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have some old furniture a dressing table to be exact from…

Customer Question
I have some old furniture...
I have some old furniture a dressing table to be exact from 30 years ago I would like make room for a new one. I heard since these are nearly impossible to find and some markets would like these items. I would wonder though what is the best way to appraise such an item. The dresser has a mirror and drawers, it is a bit old and worn though. I wonder is it a good idea to do this or should it just be disposed or donated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/25/2016
Antique Expert: Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.

Do you have any photos of the piece you may be able to send?

You can upload photos as follows:

UPLOAD:

The link below will direct you through our upload process

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I will send out the pictures soon.

Thank you . I look forward to the photo.

Frank

Thanks for sending over those photos.

Do you see any maker's names or markings inside the drawers?

I looked inside the drawers and behind the drawers I could not find any carvings or markings inside. It was a custom made that a previous owner left behind when they sold their house to us back in 1980.

Thank you for getting back to me.

The faded white stained bedroom set shows the grains of a white oak, which is what appears to be what the set in its entirety is composed of.

These sets were fairly common in the late 1970's and early 1980's and in the current market are not quite as big of sellers as the midcentury modern pieces produced closer to the 1960's

In fair condition, the bedroom set would have a resale value of between 400-500 USD. To be honest, if you are hot to trot on bringing in new items, donation would be the best way of getting rid of the set, as it may sit for sale for some time. Another option would be a local auction house, as they would be able to sell the set in one fell swoop in an in-person auction.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Best of luck with your bedroom set .

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

I guess the auction house sounds like a good idea. I will just have to haul it there. I wonder how does it work?

Auction companies occasionally do come out for larger items such as your furniture and can haul it out for you. The auctioneer would take percentage of the consignment, usually between 10-30% based on the auction house and they would present the items to an auction floor or online and the items would be sold as is.

Again, you would be at the mercy of the auction crowd, so items would be sold as is to the highest bidder.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for your feedback,

Frank

Thanks for your advice.
What are some examples for auction companies in the San Diego area?