Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

This gh chair was bought over 47 years ago at Sotheby's

Customer Question
This high chair was bought...
This high chair was bought over 47 years ago at Sotheby’s Auction house soon after Sotheby's arrived from London to New York.
My mother bought 4 pieces of future there that day and still remain in her home to this day . I am first interested in the high chair, what can you tell me about it, it's history and value as well as its replacement value , second I have an old Barber Station, an ice box and a I don't know what exactly you would call it as we left it in our foyer as a piece of art. My mother most recently past away and I would imagine these are of some value as at one point that had caught the interest of Sotheby's. Any information you can offer would really be appropriated. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
1/24/2016
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser. Please allow to review your photos and I will post back here my findings. Thank you

Thank you
Hi Lady Tanya any information you can offer at this time?
Are you still researching or have you turned this over to someone else as I do see you are on line?

Hello Yes I am researching I am online and will be working most of the night I will be posting my findings here as soon as I am complete Thank you for the photos They do help greatly in being able to see and review the whole piece. Thank you

Hello, sorry for the delay I am in Northern California and we have been going through horrid winter storms and tornado warning. I have found the information on the high chair and am now researching the Barber station.

On the high chair:

Victorian Oak Up and Down circa 1800-1825 Wicker back and seat.

Up= high chair and Down=Childs rocker.

The value in today's market is $400-425.00 for insurance purposes the value is $600.00

This looks to be in excellent condition I see no damage or breakage.

the wood does look dry and could use a good wood feeder applied to bring the luster of the wood back into the piece.

I will now finish up on the other items.

The Barber station -circa 1790-1820s made of oak with a mirror this kept the tools of the barber in one place and room for a wash bowl on the bottom shelf. Towels and such laid on the top and a key would lock up the contents at night. The value on this piece 350.00-375.00 for insurance purposes the replacement value is 40=50.00 It looks to be in excellent condition. No breaks or damage visible in the photos.

The original barbers didn’t specialize in a particular field and weren’t there solely to provide the gents of the day with a trim, they put their chairs and clients through a far gorier ordeal. The red and white of the pole serves to provide a visual representation for both bandages and blood, and the brass bowl that surrounded the top of the pole represented a dish that was used to contain leeches.

The leeches were used in a practice called bloodletting. This form of healing dates back to ancient Europe where it was decided that those with ailments and illnesses should have their blood extracted by the invertebrates in the hopes that whatever sickness living within the blood would also be extracted. It didn’t work and it continued not to work for the 2000 years it was in use. To make things worse for our unfortunate ancestors the barber surgeons of their day were not academically trained but rather the product of simple apprenticeships.

As if being attacked by parasites and numpties (British informal A stupid or ineffectual person.) on your day off wasn’t bad enough you might be visiting your local barber surgeon for another reason. Dentistry. No anesthetic, no medication, no messing. The barbers of the 1700’s were also your dentist meaning they would quite literally rip the diseased teeth from your mouth. As you can imagine hygiene wasn’t up to any sort of standard and with equipment being used on patient after patient infection rates were absurdly high.

Due to the various unpleasant tasks that the barbers of old had to undertake they had far less time to hone their main role and the skill level and quality of the haircuts is not at all to the standard of today. The poor were given generic cuts, if they could afford one at all, and the rich chose to keep their hair extremely close and tight to their head due to them generally wearing wigs from day to day.

.............and a I don't know what exactly you would call it as we left it in our foyer as a piece of art............... I dont have a photo of this one? If you can post a photo I will be able to help you. Thank you I am now on to the ice box.

The ice box you have is 1890-1910 and looks to be in great shape for the age. The value is $475-525.00 and the insurance replacement value is 650.00 to find one the same shape and condition. It looks to be oak and the hinges appear to be in working order.

Since it was not feasible for everyone to have their own ice house, the ice box was developed sometime between 1830 and 1840. It was little more than a wooden box with an area to hold a block of ice. Over the next few decades improvements were made to the original design.

The average ice box was made of wood. As time went on these utilitarian appliances became beautiful pieces of craftsmanship. There were often carvings and other embellishments added to the basic box.

The walls were hollow and were lined with tin or zinc. The walls would then be filled with insulation. Some of the materials used to insulate the walls of these antique ice boxes were:

• Seaweed
  • Straw
  • Cork
  • Sawdust
  • Other insulating materials as available locally

Please post photos of the last item so I may review that also.

If I can help further on any of the above three items let me know as I am happy to help always.

Thank you I posted another question and nobody answered it do you think you can help me out with this?
I have an Authentic Antique One of a Kind Ghom ( Qum ) Handmade Iranian Fine Silk Persia Carpet
Bought in the Middle East in the early 70's.
Are you educated in this field or can you point me in the direction of someone who is?
I am looking for both a insurance/ replace value and a resale price
Please let me know.
Thank you

Hello, yes I studied under my father for 15 years and he specialized in these types of antiques. I would be happy to look it over and help you. Do you want me to find the question or do you want to post the photos here? Either way is ok. Please let me know.

Also, what was the last item you had listed here on this thread? I did not have a set of photos of a fourth item here to appraise. I just want to make sure I keep these last two items straight and fulfill all your questions. Thank you

Hi I wanted to let you know I found your rug and did lock it in to research and help you on it. I can help you on this rug and look forward to completing it. Please allow me a day or two to fully research the rug for you.