Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting that was framed in NYC by S. Friedman on…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a painting...
Hello, I have a painting that was framed in NYC by S. Friedman on 65 East 9th Street near broadway, NY tel was STUYVESANT 9-5178. I do not know the date or orgin but the painting is pretty nicely done and looks like a real piece of art and not some amateurish job. The piece is approx 13"x10" and is of a women from the bust up with a red background.
I would love to know the origin of it and the artist if anyone can help. The framing was done with the orig stretcher put in a gold painted frame. There might be a signature in the corner but I cannot tell and cannot figure out how to take the frame apart.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/20/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send some clear, in-focus, close-up images of the surface so I can see the texture and a view of the backside (do not remove from frame).

~Nora

if you need better pics I can pull out the big cam...
IMG_20160120_134433744.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160120_134450469.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160120_134441563.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160120_143050716.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160120_143040398.jpgIMG_201...jpg

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look them over for you.

~Nora

I am not able to tell you the artist of the painting nor who the sitter is in it. I can opt out if you like, at no additional charge and open your question to all the experts.

~Nora

Is there anything I can do to get a value or further identification of that or even an approx year of the piece or the frame?

The painting, based on the style of her "Christy Girl" (a la Howard Chandler Christy) clothing and hair, as well as the stretchers on the back side from circa 1905 - 1910.

She is loosely based on the 'look' of women idealized by illustrators at the time and the Coca-Cola girl model.

The gilded frame is Arts & Crafts era style or circa 1905-1910.

The Friedman tag with the phone number STuyvesant 9-5178 was implemented in the 1940's. It is more likely the painting was sold through them as opposed to re-framed by them.

Value os based on comparables, an unsigned early 20th century painting of a woman in gilded Arts & Crafts frame would have a suggested insurance or replacement value of $800 on today's market.

~Nora

is there little chance of a signature under the edge of the framing?

Usually there is not a signature under the frame. If signed, the framer rarely covers the signature. This is also a rather 'intimate' portrait for its time and in terms of societal norms for that era, its not unusual for this to be unsigned

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora