Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a short handwritten note and signed picture sent to…

Customer Question
I have a short...

I have a short handwritten note and signed picture sent to me by Langston Hughes in 1961. Could this be worth anything?

Expert's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was doing a term paper about him in my senior year in high school. So I wrote to him and asked for comments. He graciously replied. He is a famous black poet, especially known in Harlem.

Expert's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/20/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

A 1961 signed(handwritten note) document by Black poet Langston Hughes would have retail historical signature vendor's price of $1500 assuming good condition.

His autographed books bring much higher prices.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM COMPENSATED BY JA for my time and effort. This is of NO COST TO YOU.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris

Doris. I have viewed your answer to my question. I appreciate it. All the numbers and letters, etc. have me confused. Hope you get this message. Lois

Lois,

I'm glad you received my answer.

I am not sure what confused you .....

my answer or how to rate me?

Let me know.

I want to help you.

Kind regards,

Doris