Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

Have a G.S.. Improved violin case with a violin of gut

Customer Question

Have a G.S.B. Improved violin case with a violin of gut strings. Inside the violin it says "Antonius Straditrarius Cremonenfis Faciebat Anne 1736." What is this and based upon condition that needs work, what is it worth approximately?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hello Norman,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Can you describe the condition of this violin please? What are its flaws?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Violin appears to be hand made. Horse hair string on bow is loose and broken in some strings. Violin case and bow needs work to re condition. I have attached a photo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added three more photos.

The violin is missing a tuning peg.

It was made in a workshop in Germany at the turn of the 20th century.Factories in Markneukirchen, Mittenwald and Klingenthal, among other towns, made thousands of these violins for export. They are still considered to be good student instruments today (not for concert performers).

If the violin is in good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $800. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $320, depending on location and actual condition. The bow and the case are usually included with the violin and, unless they ae something very special, do not affect the value.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Norman.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!