Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a 1800's checkbook from a dentist that we found in a…

Customer Question
I have a 1800's checkbook...
I have a 1800's checkbook from a dentist that we found in a roof from a building that we remodeled and are in decent shape. How much would they be worth?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/19/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Your checkbook is from the early 1900's as indicated by the 190_ on the dateline.

This would fall under the category of ephemera, and yield about $20 for the lot.

~Nora

But it was patented in 1897

Patent dates are when a patent was entered and approved, and not when something was made.

The check dates on these are pre-filled for 190_, thus, at the oldest these were printed in 1900 and then would be good to use through 1909. By 1910, a new set of checks would have needed to be printed.

In general, checks of value on the re-sale market are those that are signed by famous people, like John Wayne's check for a new Cadillac car.

~Nora

Ok thanks

You are welcome.