Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

What is the current value of a complete, multi-volume French…

Customer Question
What is the current value...
What is the current value of a complete, multi-volume French Encylopedia from 1916, filled with caligraphy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/18/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

How many books are in the complete set? What is the full title of the set and who was the publisher?

~Nora

There are five (5) volumes, each about 2' high and 1.5' wide. Each contains between 700 an 800 pages, with thousands of
photographs and color and black and white detailed drawings. The encompass the years 1915-1918 and are a complete history
of WWI. The only title in evidence is L'Illustration, which suggests that these books are a compilation of a great number of newpapers or magazines or alternatively an illustrate guide to WWI. The pages an photos and drawings are all in pristine condition
HI NORA: I'm signing off now. Please email a reply. Thanks.

What you have is a series of bound periodicals of the French newspaper L'Illustration.

Each bound volume retails for as high as $300 - $400. Usually bound periodicals from this period only sell for less than $20, so this is considerably high in the 'big picture'.

If you were to try to sell these direct to a dealer, they will usually offer only 10% - 30% of the lowest perceived value.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora