Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I'd like to find out how to estimate value of a collection

Customer Question

I'd like to find out how to estimate value of a collection of porcelain shoes and how to sell them as a collection. This is a collection of shoes that my mom collected. She passed away last year and I'd like to find out how to value and sell the collection.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

How many shoes are in the collection and do any of them have maker marks on the underside?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More than 1000 in total in three display cabinets. Most, have marks on the underside of the shoes. They were collected over a 20-25 year time period. She also collected plates like Gone with the Wind plates.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In general I really only assess one item per question here. You will want to start by grouping together shoes with the same maker marks.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There may be 50 or more groups as I don't know where all of the shoes were made.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

First start with seperating marked and unmarked ones.

Then with just the marked ones, group together the ones with the same maker marks.

Of those groups, then take with one with most in them with the same maker mark and begin to research that maker name online.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

How is it going with grouping together the shoes by maker?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not sorted them. It is a daunting task with three display cabinets of roughly 1,000 or more shoes.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Let me know when you start. ~Nora