Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have a Glasgow Pottery vase by Moses & Sons. The marking

Customer Question

I have a Glasgow Pottery vase by John Moses & Sons. The marking is carved. There's no stamp. Just the name Glasgow. I have found the carved signature listed as an early marking. I'm curious to know when it was made and what the value is?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back in 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for your speedy response. I look forward to your research and appraisal.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Realizing the fact that eBay is an auction site with values that are often less than half retail, I found the following sales of Glasgow Pottery by John Moses & Sons Co of Trenton, NJ.

Nov 2014 = Jug $55

Currently = Dish 8,25 x 5.75" Buy It Now $56.

The date range of your piece is 1895-1904.

The retail value of your vase would be $140 - 160 assuming good condition.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the dish. It is not comparable for several factors. Most importantly the signature. I have located the signature and it shows to be circa 1863. I was looking for expert knowledge rather than a goifle search. Is there anyone with that credential who can assist me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Often information on the internet is incorrect when it comes to dating antique marks.

I use professional sites that specialize in dating antique markings.

That said,

I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you.
Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy to discuss what you have with you. I have sent an additional services offer.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** already paid for an "expert" to do a free Google search and look at eBay. I'll pass and go to a legitimate company. Good luck
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your own research and attribution is incorrect and I wanted to explain and point out the details for you.

Best wishes on your search.

~Nora