Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I would like info about who made this 

Customer Question

I would like info about who made this

vintage ceramic tile, signed  on back.

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

At your convenience, please send an image of the front side of the tile.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not been able to successfully photograph the front. Sorry, I realize you cannot appraise without seeing the front. Do you know who the maker is by the marking?

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to determine the maker by just seeing the initial stamp on the back side. I can wait as long as you need for an image of the front side.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you recommend a site where I might find the mark? I won't be trying to photograph the front again until I get another camera to use.

Thank you

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

There is not a comprehensive site for late 20th century tile marks.

I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your vintage tile.

Thanks for the excellent photo of the back. The MR monogram is for the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, founded by Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930).

This is one of the many faithful re-issues of early American Arts & Crafts designs produced in much the same way as were the originals by Mercer.

Obviously without seeing the design it's not possible to give you a more precise value range, but most of the Mercer/Moravian tiles from this era (1970s) sell at auction or on line (eBay etc) in the range of $12 - $35.

So I would give your framed one a full retail of at least $70. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes

I do hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Robert

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R